The Puerto Rico Tip-Off is an ESPN pre-season college basketball tournament happening in November in San Juan. This year, it’s Nov. 15-18.
The 2012 tournament also includes NC State, Massachusetts, Akron, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Providence and Tennessee.
From the Tip-Off website:
The 2012 Puerto Rico Tip-Off, an early-season men’s basketball tournament, has secured all eight teams in the field, including NCAA Championship invitees North Carolina State and UNC Asheville and NIT semifinalist Massachusetts. The annual event is played in historic and picturesque San Juan, Puerto Rico Thursday, Friday and Sunday, Nov. 15, 16 & 18.
Also in the field are Akron, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Providence and Tennessee.
Puerto Rico Tip-Off Teams
- NC State, which received votes in the final ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ Poll, was the No. 11 seed in the 2012 NCAA Championship
- UNC Asheville, a the Big South champs and a 16-seed in the NCAA Championship, dropped a second-round decision to Syracuse
- Tennessee, UMass and Akron earned NIT berths
- As the No. 1 seed, the Vols had a first-round win over Savannah State but fell to in-state rival Middle Tennessee in the second round
- A No. 5 seed, UMass advanced to the NIT Semifinals in Madison Square Garden with wins over No. 4 Mississippi, No. 1 Seton Hall and No. 3 Drexel before losing to No. 3 Stanford
- Akron, also seeded No. 5, fell in the first round to Northwestern