The first two years of RiverMusic brought thousands of smiling faces to the French Broad River to enjoy its splendor, and RiverLink will host five nights – plus a full Saturday of fun at RiverFest — of live music this summer. As in past years, there will be live music from established and up-and-coming acts, foodtrucks, local beer, and more!
Each night will feature a different line-up of beer from two local breweries. So far, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Catawba and Oskar Blues have all signed on to provide tasty brews on varying nights. Foodtrucks will include The Gypsy Queen, The Lowdown, El Kim Chi, and more!
The 2014 lineup is better than ever:
- Friday, May 30 – Funk/Soul/Afrobeat night with headliner “Orgone” and all the way from Brooklyn, New York, “Emefe.”
- Friday, June 13 – It’s Americana/Roots night with the UK’s “Treetop Flyers” and the “River Whyless.”
- Friday, July 11 – Bluegrass night with headliners “The Billy Sea” and opening act Grammy Award winning artist River Guerguerian who will appear with the “Jeff Sipe Global Percussion Ensemble, Robert Mangum and Parrish Ellis.”
- Saturday, August 9 – RiverFest features “Soldier’s Heart,” “Ashley Heath” and Plankeye Peggy.
- Friday, August 29 – Classic Rock and Blues hit the stage with Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee and member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, “The Artimus Pyle Band.” Opening act is “Andrew Scotchie and the River Rats” (they played RiverFest about three years ago and were quite good – very young then).
- And finally on Sept. 12, we wrap it all up with another great bluegrass evening featuring “Fruition” and “The Fireside Collective.”Attendees are encouraged to leave their cars at home and get to the concerts via alternative modes of transportation. There will be facilities for locking up bikes. There is also a paddle-up option. RiverLink added a canoe access point to the Sculpture Plaza last year so paddlers can easily float to the concerts. Sundance Power has signed on again to power our musical event, and Heira Productions arranged the performers again this year.
SSSSSUUUUUPPPPPEEEEEERRRRRRFFFFUUUUUNNNN NIGHT! VERY FUN, FUNKY, get-down dance fest with EASY valet bike parking by Asheville On Bikes, cool breezes and happy folks everywhere…will be difficult to top!
ONE beer line for 3000+ people? Fail.
There were two lines.
I saw one line 100 yards long, 3 people wide. Lots of people including me just danced for a few songs and went elsewhere to get a beverage. When New Belgium was involved they had beer tents all over the place. Did someone not show up this year or was it just poorly planned?
There were two lines. Doesn’t matter what you saw. I was in one of ’em. There were two.
We typically have 3 brewers out on site. Being beer week, most breweries were pretty busy & Catawba came to our rescue. We will most certainly have more than one beer station at future concerts. We had a record turn out last night, thank you for joining us.
Surprised to see Treetop Flyers on there. Great band.
Bluegrass night features world music ensembles… makes perfect sense. Why feature real bluegrass music in a town that doesn’t have any?
beat me to it. I was gonna say, bluegrass night with percussion. Bluegrass: “I do not think it means what you think it means.”