The 10th and most current episode of AVL Food Fans is up and available to listen to and download at www.avlfoodfans.com, as well as free from the iTunes store!
Just in case you think that a food show must be boring, in this episode Chef Joe Scully says the word “blumpkin” within the first four minutes of the show. ._.
For my part, I can be heard mumbling something like, “it involved my testicles” about halfway through the show.
This week on AVL Food Fans! Joe and I talk to local food writers Gina Smith and Jonathan Ammons from the Mountain Xpress, who are really great, and fun, and we touch on everything from fishing in the rain, living in Japan, and predictions for future food trends.
After we say goodbye to Jon and Gina, Joe and I talk about pumpkin and all of it’s many (over) uses this time of year. Pumpkin lattes, pumpkin beer, pumpkin whoopie pies, pumpkin soup… We agree that pumpkin generally sucks as an ingredient, but Joe does provide us with a pumpkin cake recipe, which you can read HERE.
Before any of that, we are joined by Jason Sandford from Ashvegas, who helps us deliver the Food News. This week we touch on the following:
• Renowned chef Giorgio Bakatsias to open a new greek restaurant called Golden Fleece Slow Earth Kitchen in Asheville.
• Asheville’s race with Roanoke VA to woo Deschutes Brewery.
• Chicken Salad Chick is coming to Tunnel Road.
• Brother Wolf Animal Rescue‘s Cat Cafe update!
• BWAR’s Howl-o-Ween Walkathon featuring Highland Brewing Company, Urban Orchard Cider Company and Bar, Farm To Fender, Pho Ya Belly, The Hop Ice Cream Cafe, Scott’s Knots, Green River Picklers, and Dolci di Maria.
• Cider Fest at the WNC Farmers Market.
• National Gingerbread House Competition at The Omni Grove Park Inn.
• And Chefs Katie Button and Carmen Vaquera ( Cúrate and The Nightbell) in Washington DC for the Chefs for Equality event, a fundraiser for Human Rights Campaign working for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender equal rights.
Other venues that we mention, include Barley’s Taproom & Pizzeria, Chiesa, La Bomba, Counter Culture Coffee, Buxton Hall Barbecue, LEAF Festival, Edna’s at the River, Smoky Park Supper Club, Haiwa, MG Road, Lambfest, Clingman Cafe, and Blind Pig.
You can listen to the current and past episodes of AVL Food Fans at www.avlfoodfans.com where you can also download it. It is available for free from the iTunes store as well. Thanks as always to our Producer Matt from ZaPow studios, as well as WPVM 103.7 The Voice, who rebroadcast our show every Friday at 5pm, and of course, our underwriters, Chestnut, The Corner Kitchen, Corner Kitchen Catering, and Aloft Asheville Downtown. And thanks to our listeners! As of October 13th, 2016 we’ve had 3,698 listens, which is an average of 410+ per show! That’s great, we appreciate you guys very much!
Stu Helm is an artist, writer, and podcaster living in Asheville, NC, and a frequent diner at local restaurants, cafes, food trucks, and the like. His tastes run from hot dogs and mac ‘n’ cheese, to haute cuisine, and his opinions are based on a lifetime of eating out. He began writing about food strictly to amuse his friends on Facebook.