Greetings Neighborhood Leaders,
Does your community have a great idea, but needs some help putting it into action? In the summer of 2015, the Asheville Design Center will be hosting a ten-week program comprised of collegiate level students in the fields of design, planning, and construction to design and construct a small community-based project. We are looking for project ideas and would like to know if your community would like to be the host for the summer studio.
Project proposals are by January 16, 2015. You can submit you proposal online at ADC’s DesignBuild Studio webpage.
We are looking for a community or neighborhood that:
· has an association of elected members that represent the community
· has already identified a small scale public space project that could be designed and built within ten weeks (bus shelter, community garden pavilion, sports shelter, amphitheater, etc.). This project ideally integrates a physical structure/space with the surrounding landscape
· has community members that would be able to work closely with the students in both the design and building stages of the project
· would be able to help contribute to the cost of buildings materials ($5,000-$10,000) and help identify other sources of funding
· would be able to help maintain the project after it is completed.
The Asheville Design Center will provide:
· 10-16 collegiate level students in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, planning, and construction management who will work with your community on the vision and implementation of a project over 10 weeks.
· classroom and shop space (at AB Tech)
· supervision, training, skill development and project management for all those involved in the project
· all necessary tools, etc.
· design professional to assist with the planning of the project
· permitted drawings and associated costs
ADC is partnering with AB Tech to make this studio available.
Let us know if have the perfect project or an awesome idea.
Once again, project proposals are by January 16, 2014. You can submit you proposal online at ADC’s DesignBuild Studio webpage.
Project proposals can be submitted online. Please feel free to contact Chris Joyell ([email protected], 828.782.7894) to share your idea and tell us why you think your neighborhood would be a good fit for this project.
To get a sense of the scale we’re looking for, please feel free to review the work of our past three studios:
2014 Design Build Studio: YWCA Outdoor Classroom
2013 Studio: River Arts District Pedestrian Bridge
2011 Studio: Burton Street Peace Garden Pavilion