The CrossFit community in Asheville is amazing. Over at Summit CrossFit, they’re kicking the year off with a challenge to get into a solid habit of working out and eating right. They’re offering a ton of support, as well as a new program called “Afterburn” that has more of an emphasis on endurance and stamina than the typical CrossFit class, which contains lots of weightlifting. I’m diving in for their 30-day “lifestyle” challenge by having my fat rolls measured, pledging to eat a lot more veggies and basically running my ass off. We’ll see how I do. Meantime, here’s more info:
The Lifestyle Challenge at Summit CrossFit starts now and ends on Feb. 2. It’s not too late to get signed up. About 20 people came out on Tuesday night for an evening meet-up and initial workout. Components include:
– Initial and final measurements: body fat percentage, pictures, waist in inches, hips in inches, waist to hip ratio, & workout (first measurements taken on Monday, January 2nd, at 7pm)
– Guidance for improvements in nutrition, sleep, hydration, training, and stress management
– Private Facebook group for questions, support, and encouragement
– 2017 Afterburn program classes (3x per week, or more if you have an unlimited membership) available throughout the challenge. More info in Afterburn coming later today!
– Lifestyle journals reviewed weekly for feedback and progress
There will be a graduation potluck at 7 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 3. Folks will have the chance to take final measurements, pictures, and get in another workout.
Here’s the deal on Afterburn:
Afterburn is a new program at Summit CrossFit. It is a bootcamp-style group fitness class that is entirely separate from traditional Crossfit classes. Classes are designed to improve lean muscle mass, cardiovascular endurance, stamina & power. Each Afterburn member will have a heart rate monitoring system, which provides real-time feedback for athletes & coaches. Classes will include bodyweight movements, plyometrics and light resistance training in interval formats and are coached by professionals.
These classes are designed for anyone, and coaches can modify any movements to the individual based on needs and limitations.
See you at the gym.