Here’s the note I received today. It’s all unconfirmed information at this point, from a loyal Ashvegas reader. I’ll be following up:
At Owen Highschool today 15 students were involved I’n a marijuana/ acid brownie incident. The boy who made them expelled….the other students became I’ll one of which was found outside…throwing up and “high”…. why is it no parents were notified….why is it u had to hear about it by my ninth grade daughter….why was it no one called ems….the student found by his friend had eaten 5!!!!!not knowing what was in them….he was suspended along with others throwing up. My daughter said everyone who consumed them got sick…..principal should have sought medical help and also let all parents made aware of the situation….
Another loyal reader passed along an email newsletter sent out by Principal Meg Turner that alerted parents to the above issue:
On a less exciting note, it has come to our attention that we have not addressed possession or use of electronic cigarettes in our handbook. They are not allowed at school. Students found to be in possession of e-cigarettes will be subject to the same consequences as students in possession of tobacco products. We had another disturbing drug related issue this week. A student who brought and shared brownies reported to have marijuana in them has been arrested. Several boys involved got sick and have since been suspended. The investigation is ongoing. I share this information as a way to ask that you please discuss the dangers of drugs use along with the legal and educational consequences of such poor decisions. After the winter break, we will form a parent and community task force to develop a plan of action and attack on drug use in our school. Please let me know if you would like to be a part of our efforts.