Ashvegas: First off, tell me a little bit about yourself.
Ashely: I’m the AFK fashion reporter, and I’ve been in every issue. I grew up in Asheville and am related to the famous congressman who Buncombe County is named after. I live with my mom and dad and my sister and brother, who are younger than me. I write about fashion in general, as well as fashion for kids. My fashion guru is actually my grandmother! I play disc golf, soccer and softball and I love running. My best friend in Marion McDowell.
Ashvegas: What’s your summer fashion vibe?
Ashely: Dresses are my favorite. Skirts for summer, and high-waisted shorts. I like hightop sneakers and flip-flops with lots of great colors and sparkles. The hardest thing every day for me is trying to figure out what outfit to wear because I have so many clothes, so it’s hard to decide. I change my clothes at least five times throughout the day! Kimonos with floral prints are hot right now. And for the summer, I’m all about skin protection and wearing sunglasses.
Ashvegas: Are you excited about the party Sunday:
Ashely: I’m super excited about it. I can’t wait to talk to the kids – and I encourage kids to dress up for the party! There will be a photo booth and I’ll be taking pictures with the kids and listening to their fashion tips. I’ve got few outfit changes planned for the party. I can’t wait!
Here’s the press release:
Asheville Flyer for Kids, the fun, free, monthly paper just for kids, is having another party just for the kids and parents of Asheville, this time at The Grey Eagle, 185 Clingman Ave.
On Sunday June 22 from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. there will be a festive party for kids, parents, families, and fun-loving folks of all kinds, to celebrate school being out for the Summer! Woo hoo! It is hosted & produced by Asheville Flyer for Kids (AFK) and co-sponcored by Henco Reproductive Graphics, The Hop Ice Cream Cafe, Laughing Mask Candies, and T-Bone’s Radio Active Kids on AshevilleFreeMedia.org There will be Live Music by two national touring acts:
• Red Yarn & Family, who perform folk songs and puppetry for families
• Laura Doherty, who will perform light and breezy pop songs that are perfect for kids.
• Ashely Buncombe, fashion reporter, and regular feature in Asheville Flyer for Kids, who will be making her first LIVE appearance (she’s usually a cartoon character) to meet the kids, give and get fashion tips, and award prizes!
• DJ T-Bone will be spinning the hits, and shooting the very first live footage for his brand new web series: DJ T-Bone’s Music Mash-Up!
• Mister Twister will be twisting balloons and Asheville Face and Body Painting will be there too!
• The Hop will be vending ice cream, and Taqueria Con Cuida will be open!
• There will be contests and prizes, plus free “schwag bags” for kids and families while they last!
• Activities include: – Slack Rope – Jiant Jenga – Crafts – Games – Giant Coloring Pages
• PLUS: Kids can hold the mic, tell jokes, sing, dance, hula hoop, or do whatever they want during our infamous Kid’s Take the Stage segment! It’s some of the best entertainment in Asheville!
The AFK School’s Out Party is open to the general public, admission is free for kids under 16. 16+ is $10 at the door. Doors open at 2:30 p.m. All Ages are welcome!
About AFK: We are a free, monthly paper conceived and created by Stu Helm, and brought to life by Tim Arem (T-Bone Productions) in the Fall of 2012. Every issue is chock full of games, jokes, & activities, strictly for kids (although adults love it too!), all with a sense of humor, and a distinctly local flavor. With our recent partnering-up with IWANNA, we now print and distribute 10,000 copies per month in North carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oregon and California! This event is our way of giving kids a chance to have a party all of their own, and for parents to enjoy some good clean fun at a very low cost.