Mission Health and Blue Cross Blue Shield announced on Tuesday that they had reached an agreement on a new contract. Details of the deal were not disclosed.
This past summer, Mission Health announced it was terminating its contract with Blue Cross, citing a breakdown in negotiations over reimbursements. The move upset thousands of Blue Cross insurance holders in Western North Carolina who faced higher costs for services. That contract officially ended on Oct. 4. The new deal goes into effect on Dec. 15.
Friday, Dec. 15 is also the deadline to sign up for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Pisgah Legal Services is helping people sign up. Here’s more from their press release regarding healthcare sign-ups:
The Affordable Care Act is still the law and consumers can shop the Marketplace during the shortened Open Enrollment period to select 2018 coverage. Time is running out as plan selections have to be made by December 15th in order to get quality, affordable coverage for 2018. Financial assistance is still available. Free, in-person help right here in Western North Carolina is available. Appointments can be made by calling toll-free: 855-733-3711 or make an appointment online here.
In addition, there are free events are happening across WNC for the last week of enrollment:
Monday December 11th
· 1-7pm Mad Batter Food & Film– 617 West Main St., Sylva
Thursday December 14th
· 10am-4pm Marianna Black Library— 33 Fryemont St., Bryson City. Call 828-550-7908.
· 1-4:30pm Transylvania Community Services– 98 E. Morgan St., Brevard
Friday December 15th
· 8:30am-3pm Pisgah Legal Services – 440 S. Church St., Hendersonville
· 9am-8pm Pisgah Legal Services — 62 Charlotte St. , Asheville
· 9am-3pm Pisgah Legal Services — 169 N. Main St., Rutherfordton
· 12-5pm Swannanoa Public Library— 101 W. Charleston Ave., Swannanoa
· 3:30-7:30pm Addie’s Chapel Methodist Church— 201 Ridley St., Marion
Free, In-Person Help is Available with Trained Professionals
Pisgah Legal Services (PLS), a nonprofit law firm, and other ACA Partners of WNC participating organizations offer free, unbiased health insurance information and enrollment assistance in the NC Health Insurance Marketplace. These organizations include: Blue Ridge Community Health Services, Council on Aging of Buncombe County, Legal Aid of North Carolina, Mountain Projects, Inc., Pisgah Legal Services, Western Carolina Medical Society and WNC Community Health Services.
Appointments can be made by calling toll-free: 855-733-3711 or make an appointment online here.