Devil’s Foot Beverage, a new craft beverage company in Asheville specializing in making non-alcoholic ginger beer and other sparkling water drinks made with fresh, local ingredients, is slowly rolling out its product around town.
The company is the brainchild of a tight-knit group of friends including Ben Colvin and Jacob Baumann, two familiar faces around Asheville. Colvin has been active on the environmental nonprofit front for years. He currently serves as executive director of Wild Forests and Fauna and formerly worked as development director of Wild South. Baumann is a well-known on the local music scene, playing with a variety of bands including Sanctum Sully and fellow musicians including Ram Mandelkorn and Josh Phillips.
Colvin says he and friends began talking at backyard barbecues about making a non-alcoholic drink to pair with what he and his crew liked to sip at those gatherings: bourbon and vodka. So they began making a naturally spicy ginger beer that paired perfectly. Vashti Colvin, Ben’s wife, noted that a ginger root’s resemblance to a gnarly foot, and the name of their concoction was born.
Colvin says Devil’s Foot is setting up a 15-barrel canned beverage operation in a warehouse in Woodfin. The plan is to produce the ginger beer flagship, as well as a variety of seasonal sparkling waters flavored with seasonal fruits.
Devil’s Foot is working with Asheville breweries to have their non-alcoholic drinks offered as a non-alcoholic choice at taprooms. Devil’s Foot is already a member of the Asheville Brewers Alliance.
Devil’s Foot will be offering samples of its drink throughout October during tastings at The Orange Peel, Grey Eagle, Social Lounge and Asheville Music Hall. Here it is:
• Wed. Oct. 11 – Run The Jewels @ The Orange Peel – downstairs at PULP
• Thur. Oct. 12 – Thievery Corporation @ The Orange Peel – at PULP
• Fri. Oct. 13 – The Nth Power @ Asheville Music Hall & The One Stop
• Wed. Oct. 18 – Whiskey Devils & Devil Mules @ The Social Lounge
• Sat. Oct. 21 – Nick Lowe feat. Los Straitjackets @ The Grey Eagle
• Tues. Oct. 24 – Devil Makes Three @ The Orange Peel – at PULP
• Tues. Oct. 31 – HALLOWEEN Unknown Hinson @ The Grey Eagle
This won’t be around in 6 months.